The Mercedes-Benz logo is trademarked by the three-point star, which you will find on all Mercedes-Benz vehicles. It is said that the logo is supposed to symbolize Daimler’s ambition of universal motorization–“on land, on water and in the air.”
The name Mercedes-Benz was derived from combining the name of Jellinek’s daughter Mercedes and Carl Benz’s former company, Benz & Cie.
Jellinek originally had created a car in 1900 called Mercedes. When he joined forces with Daimler’s DMG (Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft) and Benz’s company, they came to be known as Mercedes-Benz.
The logo originally was a four-point star. In 1909, both a three-point and a four-point star were registered as company trademarks and legally protected; however, since 1910, only the three-point star has been used.
While in use since 1910, there have been many variations of the Mercedes-Benz logo. These variations include: a circle around the logo; the words “Mercedes-Benz” embedded in a circle around the logo; and a raised three-point star without a circle around it.
In Ocotber 1913 Karl Friedrich Rapp established “Rapp-Motorenwerke” in a former bicycle factory near Munich. Mr. Rapp was an engineer at airplanes. He starts manufacturing his own aircraft engines but unfortunately they suffered form problems with vibrations. Close to Rapp´s factory, Gustav Otto, the son of the inventor of the four-stroke internal combustion engine, sets up a business building small aircrafts. Otto enjoys great success with “Gustav Flugmaschinefabrik”. In 1916, Rapp’s company has secured a contract with Prussia and Austro-Hungary to produce 25 large V12 aircraft engines. Rapp Motoren Werke had problems with the reliability of the engines so they began buying four-cylinder water-cooled aircraft engines from the Gustav Otto factory. In the following months Otto’s company is absorbed. Gustav Otto´s “Gustav Flugmaschinefabrik” merging with “Rapp-Motorenwerke” formed “Bayerische Flugzeug-Werke”, meaning “Bavarian Aircraft Works”. Then Franz-Josef Popp, an Austrian engineer, directed Rapp’s business. He was securing the all-important military contracts. Popp transformed then the existing company into “Bayerische Motoren Werke GmbH” (BMW). BMW formally has its birthday at March 7, 1916. Shortly after the merge, Popp realized that the company expanded too quickly and they needed financial help. He turned to Camillo Castiglioni, a Vienna financier, who was head of the Wiener Bankverein. Popp and Castiglioni recapitalized the company.
In 1919, after the armistice was signed, the Allies prohibited German military to produce aircraft engines that’s why BMW turned to boat and truck engines and farming equipment. Meanwhile, in secret, Popp continued to work with his engineering director Friz on aircraft engines. After one year the current BMW logo was made. It was based on the circular design of an aircraft propeller.
The year of 1928 marks the beginning in terms of the BMW car. BMW buys the car factory at Eisenach/Thuringia and with it the license to build a small car called the Dixi 3/15. The BMW Dixi was the competition for the Austin 7. The BMW Dixi DA/1 (DA standing for Deutsche Ausfuhrung) is essentially the german version. The first Dixis used an open roof and were powered by a 743cc 4 cylinder engine producing 15 horsepower. Top speed was in the neighborhood of 80 km/h. The Dixi 3/15 PS was built under license from Austin and was essentially the same model as the US Bantam and the Japanese Datsun. In 1929 a new improved version was launched, the DA/2, which employed an all-steel body and 4-wheel brakes, and in 1930 the Dixi scored its first wins in motor racing. Total production: 18,976 units.
Read more at here.
“Workmen remove a 1974 Ferrari that was found buried in the backyard of a Los Angeles home. The car had been reported stolen in 1974.”